Visual Information Intern
Lake Mead National Recreation Area will be celebrating a few major milestones in 2018!
2018 marks the 50th anniversary of the National Trails System and the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act, and as home to two National Recreation Trails and the desert southwest’s only National Water Trail, Lake Mead is excited to engage visitors with programs and activities related to this celebration
For that reason, we are seeking an intern who has a passion for history and recreation who enjoys finding creative ways to express information through new and digital media. The selected intern will support of park staff and partners in producing virtual trail experiences, using video, graphics, and photos.
Secondly, the year 2018 also marks the 70th anniversary of when a B-29 Superfortress airplane crashed into Lake Mead. The plane still rests at the bottom of the lake. In this role, the intern will work with the Submerged Cultural Resources Center to develop visual materials that can be shared at the visitor center, special events and through digital media.
In addition to the aforementioned milestones, the intern will work with Lake Mead’s interpretation and education team throughout the park to communicate park messages, especially during Latino Conservation Week, to expand outreach in the Latino community. This work will build upon the efforts of past LHIP interns.
- A degree (or seeking a degree) in journalism, communications or film studies would be preferred.
- Skills in video editing, photography and a desire to learn are essential.
- Experience in graphic design, social media, web media is a plus.
- Spanish proficiency preferred but not required.
About the work environment:
- Lake Mead headquarters is located 30 minutes from Las Vegas in Boulder City.
- We are in the desert, so temperatures can surpass 115 degrees in the summer.
- The office is walking distance to many restaurants and stores and only a couple of miles from a grocery store.
- The city of Las Vegas has many Latino communities, churches, and organizations.
- Work will primarily be conducted in an office setting. Some field work will be required to capture video and photos on the trails.
- The intern may travel on rough roads, hike backcountry trails or travel by boat.
About Lake Mead National Recreation Area:
Lake Mead offers year-round recreational opportunities for boating, fishing, hiking, photography, picnicking and sightseeing. It is also home to thousands of desert plants and animals, adapted to survive where rain is scarce and temperatures can soar. For more information, visit: http://www.nps.gov/lame/learn/index.htm