The LHIP intern will help build upon and implement the Latino Strategic Communications Outreach Plan developed with our 2016 LHI to communicate interpretive messages to the Las Vegas community, specifically the area’s 107,000 Latino youth to help them find their park (Encuentra Tu Parque). The plan is being used to help educate youth and families about which parks are nearby, why they exist and how they can be a part of the national park experience.
The intern will be introduced to community leaders and will have the opportunity to attend city and county meetings. Through this internship, the student will experience a well-rounded understanding of government relations and communications.
Some of their main objectives will include:
- Assist with writing press releases, fact sheets and other print materials in Spanish.
- Help us plan at Latino Conservation Week event that will be heavily promoted in the community.
- Conduct select media interviews with Spanish speaking television stations to help promote Lake Mead and Tule Springs, along with the Find Your Park campaign.
- A degree (or seeking a degree) in journalism or communications would be preferred.
- Skills in writing and speaking and a desire to learn are essential.
- Experience in photography, social media, traditional media is a plus.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish would be ideal
About Lake Mead National Recreation Area:
Lake Mead offers year-round recreational opportunities for boating, fishing, hiking, photography, picnicking and sightseeing. It is also home to thousands of desert plants and animals, adapted to survive where rain is scarce and temperatures can soar. For more information, visit: http://www.nps.gov/lame/learn/index.htm