Outreach and Education Coordinator
The LHIP Outreach Coordinator will work with National Park Service staff to offer new and continued opportunities for community engagement based on the LHIP 2016 team’s contributions and recommendations. It is our hope that in 2017 the LHIP Outreach Coordinator will continue to build upon their great work and establish strong working relationships with the park, volunteer supporters and partners to ensure these community outreach efforts continue.
We envision a team of two LHIP interns working together on the planning and development of the focal areas, but implementing the concepts at their respective duty stations: the Great Falls and Georgetown stations. Some of their main objectives will include:
- Host a summer camp opportunity at Great Falls with the Maryland Multicultural Youth Center
- Maintain dual-language signage program at Great Falls and expand to Georgetown
- Raise awareness of park initiatives such as Every Kid in a Park, Potomac River Safety Day, and Latino Conservation Week through planned special events
- Expand opportunities for visitors to engage with park resources through digital media
- Strong public speaking skills
- Experience in leading community engagement projects on the field level
- The position also allows space for the selected candidates to hone and showcase their natural talent areas in order to enhance the project’s goals
About Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park:
The C&O Canal begins in the Atlantic Coastal Plain and crosses through portions of the Piedmont, Blue Ridge, and Valley and Ridge physiographic provinces. This diverse landscape, with the influences of the Potomac River, results in the rich geological, ecological, and biological diversity found within the Park's boundaries. Interesting geologic formations exist in the park such as Great Falls and limestone caves. A significant number of state and nationally rare plant species take refuge in the many habitats that the C&O Canal provides.